Welcome to Barpeta EMEx 2015
Barpeta is renowned in the Historical map of Assam as the "Land of the Satras". These Satras bear the testimony of the great Assamese reformer, saint, Scholar and Cultural exponent Srimanta Sankardeva and his able disciple Shri Shri Madhabdeva who arrived from Upper Assam back in the 16th century to lay down strong foundation of Assamese Culture in the region through his socio-religious Vaishnava-reform movement. This reform movement left a historic legacy. The Barpeta Satra and various other Satras scattered around the district attract devotees from every nook and corner of Assam.
The Barpeta District was carved out of erstwhile Kamrup District of Assam in July 1983. The district derived its name from the head-quarter town of Barpeta. Created as a Civil Sub-Division in 1841 by the British Administration, John Batlor was the first administrative Officer of erstwhile Civil Sub-Division. Today the District consists of two- Civil Sub-Divisions, (1) Barpeta and (2) Bajali. This Lower Assam District covers an area of 2282 square K.Ms and is bounded by Baksa District in the North, Nalbari District in the East, Kamrup and Goalpara District in the South and Bongaigaon District in the West. The latitude and longitude of Barpeta is 26.19' North & 91.00' East respectively. The general Topography of the Barpeta District varies from low-lying plains to highland having small-hillocks in the South-West-corner of the District, namely Baghbar, Fulora and Chatala overlooking the scenic and mighty Brahmaputra river.